Position: Staff Attorney: Family Law / Immigration
Supervisor: Director of Legal Services
Salary: $47,000 - $55,000, plus generous benefits package
• Provide individual legal services through counsel, advocacy and representation to youth in both administrative and courtroom settings.
• Represent clients in immigration, family law, foster care, custody, guardianship, child support and related matters.
• Conduct intake and assessment of potential clients to provide resources and opportunities.
• Lead initiatives advancing the legal rights of youth and organize policy efforts involving youth in coalition with other advocacy organizations. Facilitate opportunities for positive involvement of youth by incorporating youth in outreach efforts and programming throughout The Door.
• Assist with legal education efforts, including the planning and provision of "legal rights" workshops, drafting and development of legal education materials, and outreach to social service and community-based organizations.
• Provide training and supervision to interns and volunteers on individual cases as needed.
• Document and report service delivery to ensure compliance with funding requirements.
• Other responsibilities as assigned by Supervisor.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• J.D. degree and admission to New York State Bar
• Youth development experience preferred.
• Substantial experience in immigration, family law, foster care and/or public benefits strongly preferred.
• Experience working with diverse communities and interest in a coherent and comprehensive approach to meeting the needs of young people a must.
• Creative thinker with superior communication skills.
• Excellent organizational skills, time management and record keeping skills, including the ability to work independently, assess priorities, take initiative, handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively and to effectively interact with young people, management and program staff.
• Bilingual English/Spanish required.